On occasion, when attempting to check out or view a file within eFileCabinet, the error message "Unable to open file\n\Application not found" is brought up.
This error occurs because no program is set to open the file type you are trying to check out or view in eFileCabinet. To resolve, perform the following steps -
(Note: The steps provided below assume the file is .pdf, but the same instructions can be used for any file type):
1. Find a file with the same file type as the one is eFileCabinet on the user's PC or drag and drop a copy of the file from eFileCabinet to the Desktop (any file with the .pdf extension will do).
2. Right-click that file of the same type (.pdf) on your PC or Desktop and go to Open with>Choose default program. If the default is already set, you'll see "Choose another app"
3. This should bring up a window with several recommended programs to open the file. Select the program from the list you wish to open that file type with (Adobe Reader, Adobe Standard/Premium, Foxit Reader or Foxit Phantom depending on what is installed on the machine, etc.) and ensure "Always use the select program to open this kind of file" is checked and hit "OK".
1. You can go to Start>Default Programs (Windows Vista or higher, may not always be on the Start menu).
2. Click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program", find .pdf on the list and click the "Change program" button.
3. Select the program you wish to open that file type and hit "OK".
Once a program is associated with the file type on the PC, you should no longer receive this error within eFileCabinet.